Monday, March 23, 2009

Forms within forms



Song of the Day: In A Landscape - John Cage

Quote of the Day: "The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude." --Aldous Huxley

Thought of the Day: Today begins my Spring Break, and I spent a good part of it reading Godel, Escher, Bach. Encountered during my reading the awesome Escher piece shown above. The forms within forms concept illustrated in the woodcut is really cool, and has some basis in reality, as genotype DNA which is the blueprint for our whole self, or phenotype, is contained within each individual cell. Also during my reading encountered some descriptions of musical offerings by John Cage, a modern musician who championed the concept that randomness and chance in music could be beautiful. He commented that he would like "to let sounds by themselves, rather than vehicles for man-made theories or expressions of human sentiments." The song listed above is not so much random (it does have considerable melody), but it is a selection I encountered on exploring Cage works to which I was particularly drawn. Hope you enjoy it too.

Cheers, Dr. Kowawa

No comments: