Saturday, February 28, 2009

Training for 10 miler



Song of the Day: Serenade for Strings in C major, Op.48 - Pezzo in forma di Sonatina - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Quote of the Day: "The first wealth is health." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thought of the Day: The song of the day is one of my favorite classical compositions of all time. A very grand, very emotional offering by P.I.Tchaikovsky. I still remember the feeling I had playing this with the Charlottesville High School orchestra at a competition (we won) in NYC. I remember our performance gave me goosebumps . . . and at that time I really was more into metal and heavy stuff than classical in general so this really said a lot! Today I re-visited the metal roots a little bit during my exercise session. Sweewawa and I have two races coming up -- the Monument 10K March 28th and the Charlottesville 10 miler April 4th. I am now feeling pretty ready for the 10K but still have some work to do before being ready for the 10 miler. Anyway, today I listened to an old favorite that had been gathering dust of late -- Metallica's Master of Puppets, a really great album. It combines, at times, the beauty and raw emotion of Tchaikovsky but also has the power of a sledgehammer.

Cheers, Dr. Kowawa

No comments: