Monday, July 20, 2009

So Much to Say

OK, so a lot has been happening. So chronologically and briefly . . .



"Pull" went well. Spent two days wearing the Inpatient Digestive health hat. I happened to have seen a boatload of patients with liver problems. Most frequent patient was a 60ish male with a history of alcohol abuse or hepatitis infection who presented with liver cirrhosis and the complications that accompany it -- for example ascites, or fluid in the belly. The liver produces proteins, and proteins such as albumin help keep the fluid part of blood (plasma) inside of the blood vessels. Low protein --> fluid seeps out of the vessels into the belly. One guy I saw had gained 19 lbs of fluid to his belly in 1 month. So we tap it . . . and drain it off. And replace the proteins via IV . . . and do lots of other stuff. The experience was incredibly fast paced, pager going off constantly, balancing several things at once, but it was a great learning experience. This kind of busy-ness is the quintessential intern experience . . .



On Friday got up at 5:15 AM, got ready, went to the hosptal, and didn't get home until 10:15 PM. On returning sweewawa and I had a late dinner, and then I got an email from my Mom. Turns out Dad had a freak fall -- ruptured both quadriceps tendons while doing his normal walk on the trail near the local high school. No trauma, just a sudden snap and then both legs were flexed as he fell to the ground. Without the balancing force of the quadriceps the muscles of flexion worked unopposed. To make matters worse as my poor dad struggled to get up a bunch of hornets stung him repeatedly. It must have been awful!! So he was taken by ambulance to the hospital where I was born, and by the next day (Saturday), after XRays and MRIs a orthopedic surgeon had gone in and re-attached the tendons to the patella using sutures and metal hooks. Quite an ordeal.

So during all this time I was doing my homework. It's exceedingly rare for someone to have bilateral rupture of the quadriceps tendons. Typically one of those rare individuals will have a underlying condition -- kidney failure, diabetes, prolonged steroid use, recent fluoroquinolone (an antibiotic) use, lupus . . . my dad had none of these things. But my Mom told me incidentally that he had recently been started on a Statin, the leading drug used to lower cholesterol. And I had an inkling in my mind that I had learned in med school or out in practice that there was this VERY rare side effect of tendon problems in Statin users . . . and looked it up. It's not an official adverse event listed on the drug info, but there have been case reports of people with tendonitis and tendon rupture on the drug. So I'm intrigued and have been learning all I can about this. I may write this up for publication.

My parents were just getting ready to leave for a trip to Europe, followed by a year of working in England. Now all the plans have to be postponed / modified as my Dad goes through rehab. It's all pretty hard on him -- he definitely isn't enjoying being pretty much totally confined to the bed for most of the day. Who would like that? I really hope the recovery is complete and as fast as can be -- and I'm trying to be supportive emotionally and from a physician standpoint . . .



So since that I've headed back to Pulmonary Consults at the Veterans hospital. Stayed late this evening. Got to do a lot of interesting stuff. Did my first ever emergent flexible bronchoscopy. Briefly, had a patient who had gunk (yes, that's a medical term) in his airways and couldn't breathe. The arterial blood gas numbers and portable chest radiographs were starting to look screwy. I used a long scope to traverse the tunnels of the bronchi (lung airways), then suctioned it out. Problem solved, very rewarding to practice that kind of medicine.

No comments: