Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Let the fun begin

I'm done with a week and a half of orientation and am very excited to start officially working as a doc tomorrow. The nerves are definitely firing a little faster today . . . I think I'll be running around a little scared the first couple of months. But that's probably a good thing -- I plan to channel that extra energy into making sure I provide excellent care for my patients. Just hope I don't have to run any codes early on in the game . . .

So I plan to make as many (short) posts this year as possible, just to give myself a record of what the year was like and to hopefully provide for others some entertainment and insight into the life of an intern.

One thing I'm going to _try_ to maintain this year is a semblance of life balance. I plan to keep up with exercising, hanging out with my sweet wife as much as possible, and occasionally finding time for all those little things I like to do on the side -- reading, playing guitar, snapping photos, romping around in nature, etc. The key for me is balance. I plan to work my butt off this year, study a lot (for USMLE Step 3 but also just for lifelong learning-sake), but also maintain my self -- including those parts outside of the realm of the hospital.

Cheers,

Kowawa, M.D.

No comments: