Monday, August 10, 2009

Just say no



Today I had to tell a patient that I wouldn't give her a prescription for more pain pills. While this patient, a 52 year-old woman with atypical chest pain (i.e. NOT a myocardial infarction or angina) was in the hospital I put her on Morphine to manage her chest pain. This was appropriate given the severity of her pain and the fact that the initial workup did include acute coronary syndrome (i.e. a real deal heart attack). However, when arranging her discharge she asked for more pain meds and on research I found that she had already been prescribed a month supply 1.5 weeks ago . . . so likely this was drug-seeking behavior and I could not in good conscience double cover this lady . . . despite the fact that she told me I was "the best doctor she had ever had" . . . which may have been more attributable to her learned skill of successful drug-seeking behavior than to my skills as a physician. There's a dose of Richmond, VA reality for ya.

No comments: